Friday, October 21, 2022

Review: Lucy by the Sea, by Elizabeth Strout, 2022

Lucy by the Sea Lucy by the Sea by Elizabeth Strout
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Lucy by the Sea, by Elizabeth Strout, 2022


The fourth in the Lucy Barton series, Lucy moves in with her ex-husband William during the pandemic lockdown of 2020.  

I wasn't sure I wanted to read another "pandemic novel," so I was happy to discover Covid-19 didn't take center stage in the story. Much of what takes place revolves around Lucy and William, her ex-husband, rekindling their relationship. It was a sweet and lovely story and often funny. However, I don't think it ever reached the same heights as its predecessor, "Oh William!"

Told in her very "Strout" style of writing, which is very character-driven, mostly melancholy, and with almost no plot in sight, the novel is endearing and engaging. Reading its predecessor, "Oh William!" is probably best before starting this, and it's perhaps best to read back-to-back.

I rate this novel 3.75 out of 5 stars.

#ElizabethStrout #LucyByTheSea #Amgash 

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment