Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Review: Blindsight (Firefall #1), by Peter Watts, 2006

Blindsight Blindsight by Peter Watts
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Blindsight (Firefall #1), by Peter Watts, 2006

Talky like Asimov, hints of Heinlein's style, and world-building with the likes of Stephenson-- all of which are my least favorite aspects of those authors I respect. The story is about a crew of transhuman astronauts, and a vampire sent to investigate a possible "first-contact" alien in the Kuiper belt.

While there were some interesting characters, not enough time was spent on them. I suppose it can be viewed that there were too many characters-- not a lot of whom had a profoundly compelling story arc. A missed opportunity, indeed. 

The novel also suffers from too many ideas which did not have a direct and significant contribution to moving the plot along. Please don't misunderstand me, some concepts were brilliant, odd, and depressing, but it was too much world-building for a thin plot for my liking.

I think it's best to start this book with a glossary of characters and commit them to memory before venturing on to read.

I rate this book 2 out of 5 stars.

#Blindsight #Firefall #PeterWatts #SpaceVampire #Transhuman

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment