Thursday, October 27, 2022

Review: Dead Astronauts, by Jeff VanderMeer, 2019

Dead Astronauts Dead Astronauts by Jeff VanderMeer
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Dead Astronauts, by Jeff VanderMeer, 2019

Sequel to Borne and The Strange Bird, Dead Astronauts feature existing characters from the same shared universe of Borne. The three main characters, the Dead Astronauts, Grayson, Chen, and Moss, travel through timelines and multiverses to battle against and takedown "The Company."

Dead Astronauts, by Jeff VanderMeer, is one of those books where you have to pay attention and focus. Most of the novel is poetic exposition, and the plotline is obscured behind beautiful prose. VanderMeer's creative chops are showcased from line to line with his lyrical writing. And that, for me, was the problem. Without enough action and direct plotting, my attention drifted away easily. With the multiversal timeline hopping between scenes and sequences, VandenMeer really pushed my understanding of what is going on to the limits of where my interests and attention span intersect.

I'm such a VanderMeer fan, but this book may be my least favorite from all his released work to date. In fact, I gave up on it about 2/3 of the way through. Though, I may return to it someday and give it another chance.

I rate this book 1 out of 5 stars.

#JeffVanderMeer #VanderMeer #DeadAstronauts #Borne #DNF


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment