Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion, 2010

Warm Bodies, by Isaac Marion, 2010

Zombie boy R meet human girl Julie. R decides not to eat Julie and save her instead, beginning a strange and somewhat creepy sweet romantic relationship.

It's a not-so-typical zombie story. It's more like a zombified Romeo and Juliet story with the zombification in reverse.

The language in the story was beautifully crafted and carefully chosen to elicit wistful love and longing feelings.  Light humor and delight punctuated what otherwise would be just creepy or unnerving.

I found that it was easy to notice when R was calling Perry's memories or if he was just thinking himself during the beginning and ending of the book.  Towards the middle, I had to read back a paragraph or two when something didn't make sense only to find out the "point of view" switched.

My biggest complaint was Julie's dad. His character seemed to appear towards the end of the book and as the bad-guy.  It was too convenient of a plot device to move the story to a close.

Some of my favorite passages from the book:

"Are my words ever actually audible, or do they just echo in my head while people stare at me, waiting? I want to change my punctuation. I long for exclamation marks, but I’m drowning in ellipses."

"None of us are particularly attractive, but death has been kinder to me than some. I'm still in the early stages of decay. Just the grey skin, the unpleasant smell, the dark circles under my eyes. I could almost pass for a living man in need of a vacation."

All in all, the book was ok.  There is a movie version released in 2013 that has different ending. Maybe the movie version is better.


Isaac Marion


movie trailer:
http://youtu.be/qrI8YIZsBok

Authors Website: http://www.isaacmarion.com/warm-bodies/


My rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2 out of 5 stars) - It was ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment