Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Hissers, by Ryan C. Thomas, 2011

Hissers, by Ryan C. Thomas, 2011

I know what you are wondering, so I will start by saying, "Yes, it's another <groan> zombie story."  In a sea of zombie novels out there, the only thing that sets this book apart is the main cast of characters happens to be all junior high teens kids. And as such, the story is told from their immature point of view.

In the prologue, the dialog between a general and scientist in a government lab pretty much sets up the entire story to come. While the epilogue doesn't do much except sets up the sequel.

The meat of the story contains no plot twists or surprises. It's fairly straightforward; survive while starting at location A and travelling to location B. What might some find of some interest is how the teens thought process worked and placed them in several bad situations. In essence, lack of information coupled with immaturity led them to some bad decisions.

Somewhere in zombie groans, grunts, and grabs, a teen coming of age tale was buried. It wasn't until the latter half of the book when I finally got a whiff of it.

author: Ryan C. Thomas
For me, I found it hard to relate to the point of views of the teens nor believable. A few times, I felt some inconsistencies with how, I thought, a teen behave given the predicament.

Others reviewers claimed the story to be fast-paced and full of action. I mostly disagree. With the exception of a few scenes, most of everything with importance to the plot occurred at a humdrum pace. While I get, the entire story takes place over one weekend, adding chapter opening lines that state date and time to elicit urgency and haste didn't work for  me. Instead, it had the reverse intended effect.

My rating: ★☆☆☆☆ (1 out of 5 stars) - I did not like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment