Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Review: "Oh William!" by Elizabeth Strout, 2021

Oh William! Oh William! by Elizabeth Strout
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"Oh William!" by Elizabeth Strout, 2021


The compact novel packs mesmerizing prose and a richly layered narrative of marriage and divorce, grief and sadness, and strength and fragility borne of the human condition. Strout's constant weaving of new threads alongside the story's main fabric was so elegant and natural that it was easy to follow. 


"Oh William!" is a quiet, character-driven novel. Ultimately the story is a reflection on the very nature of our existence and the subtle forces that hold us together.


Initially thinking I might find the story unrelatable, I was surprised to learn there are some parallels. I'm happy I gave this book a chance, and I look forward to reading other works by Pulitzer Prize winner Strout.


I rate this book 4.5 stars out of 5 stars.



Plot (Non-Spoilery)


In Oh William! Lucy, now 64, is mourning the death of her beloved second husband, a cellist named David Abramson. She finds some welcome distraction in revisiting her relationship with her first husband, William Gerhardt, the philandering father of her two grown daughters.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment