Monday, September 26, 2022

Review: "Just by Looking at Him" by Ryan O'Connell, 2022

Just by Looking at Him Just by Looking at Him by Ryan O'Connell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

"Just by Looking at Him" by Ryan O'Connell, 2022

The book is darkly comic and an unflinching story following a gay TV writer with cerebral palsy. He fights addiction, searches for acceptance,  and navigates through love in an overwhelmingly ableist world.

The book oozes wit and dark humor perfectly balanced with a commentary on gay life- specifically gay life in Los Angeles and in the entertainment industry (television show writing). Several times, I had to stop, laugh out loud, and think to myself, "yep, I know what he means about that place and in that situation."    I don't know how much truth from experience the author put into the novel, but almost everything mentioned felt authentic based on my own experiences.

For a book I randomly picked up at Powell's in Portland and an author I've never heard of, I thoroughly enjoyed reading the maybe fictional accounts of "gay living" in my hometown of Los Angeles. So much so I got the audiobook and listened to the author himself narrated. 

I give this book 5 out of 5 chuckles.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment