Saturday, August 27, 2022

Review: The House in the Cerulean Sea

The House in the Cerulean Sea The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The House in the Cerulean Sea, by TJ Klune, 2020

Delightful, timely, and relevant. Though considered fantasy, it's very light on the supernatural aspect and doesn't get bogged down with the mechanics of magic. Some also might consider this work YA, but I preferred to think of it as simply breezy reading. Don't get me wrong,  allusions to the struggles of LGBTQIA+  folks are there, just not shoved in your face. What is heavy-handed, however, is the mushy and hallmark channel romance-- which I am not complaining about.

The cast of characters is diverse, even by current standards. Themes of "chosen family" and love are elegantly handled. The protagonist Linus Baker, and the entire cast of main characters, for that matter, are lovable. All in all, an uplifting fantasy with a positive message for adults and the young.

I rate this book 4.75 out of 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment