Sunday, August 7, 2022

Review: 56 Days

56 Days 56 Days by Catherine Ryan Howard
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

With the book described as a mysterious thriller set in Covid-19 pandemic backdrop, I rolled my eyes set the it back down on the shelf.  As I started to walk away someone suggested I should give it a try as it's one of the better ones around capitalizing on "pandemic stories", and the sucker who I am, so I did.

I went through the book in 6 days, but felt more like 56 days. The time jump was just too jarring-- I don't know if the editor is to blame for that or the author envisioned the the time jumps from the get-go to build the mystery and tension but simply missed the mark in execution.

I didn't find anything redeeming with any of the central characters, or a journey I could get behind. The incidental characters were probably more interesting in fact. 

But hey, I stuck with the book and it was reminiscent enough of Shonda Rhimes TV show, "How To Get Away With Murder,"-- not that I cared much for that show either.  If you self-diagnose as "pandemic-fine" and want to read something interesting enough but easily consumed, and possibly vaguely remember down the line enough to to chit-chat with some lady in the queue at the bookstore, then this book is for you.  

I rate it 2.5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment