Monday, January 31, 2022

Review: The Englishman

The Englishman The Englishman by Douglas Stuart
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

"The Englishman" by Douglas Stuart, 2020

Coming off just reading Shuggie Bain, I found myself wanting more. Young Mongo is still off on the horizon at the time of writing this review, but luckily I found "The Englishman," a short story published in the New Yorker.

There were enough similar elements from "Shuggie Bain" that it was easy enough to imagine "The Englishman" is a story about Shuggie in his collegiate years. In the story, William the Englishman and "Casper" (the pet name for William's object of desire) went to the theater to watch a play about two inner-city boys finding their first love. Could that play be called "Young Mongo?". Yeah, that might be a leap or a little meta, but hey, don't knock me for imagining.

I liked the story just like I like my lemons, acidy sour, yet somehow sweet.

I rate it a 4 out of 5.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/09/14/the-englishman

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment