Monday, January 24, 2022

Review: Earth Unaware (The First Formic War, #1), by Orson Scott Card, Aaron Johnston, 2012

Earth Unaware Earth Unaware by Orson Scott Card
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Earth Unaware (The First Formic War, #1), by Orson Scott Card, Aaron Johnston, 2012

The First Formic War is a prequel to the Ender's Game Saga that covers Earth's first encounter with the Formics (Hormigas). Earth Unaware is the first of three in the First Formic War Saga.

The first couple of chapters is very ranty and sermon-like. Towards the end of the book, new characters are introduced (on top of the many characters and threads already in play) without any seeming connective tissue between them. I suppose these new characters are setting up the next book. The storytelling around this part of the book feels a bit disjointed-- possibly due to having two writers???

I was on the fence about continuing with this saga, but I think there are enough morsels I found tasty to make me want to see what happens next.

One of my favorite quotes is, "Guilt is the greatest weapon because its cuts rarely heal and aims for the heart."

I rate this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment