Tuesday, February 8, 2022

Review: Project Hail Mary, by Andy Weir, 2021

Project Hail Mary Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir

Definitely not as good as The Martian but not as bad as Artemis.

Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir, 2021

Project Hail Mary is set in our near future about a high school teacher, Ryland Grace, turned interstellar traveler. He wakes up from space-hibernation and slowly recalls the events that led him to where he is and what he is supposed to be doing. It's partly a first contact story and partly space adventure. A lot of real science is peppered throughout the novel. Told with humor, the science explanations snuck in between aren't jarring to the dialogue, and delivery remains entertaining.

The story started out very strong for me. There were a lot of laugh-out-loud moments in the first few chapters, but less so as the book wore on. The jokes were still there, but it was just kind of repetitive. I also think the story could've been shorter. I feel the problems the main character faced were pretty repetitive in type, just dressed a little differently each time. I found myself towards the end, looking forward to completing the audiobook faster. It just got a little bit too tedious for me.

If you are new to Andy Weir, I suggest starting with The Martian. It's by far a stronger narrative. If you are not a stranger to Andy Weir, then skip Artemis and go straight to Project Hail Mary.

I rate this 3.5 out of 5 stars.

#Taumeba #Taumoeba #AstroPhage #RockyandAdrian

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment