Sunday, January 30, 2022

Review: "Shuggie Bain", by Douglas Stuart, 2021

Shuggie Bain Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stuart
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

If you read this book and feel nothing, you're probably dead inside.

It's a heartbreaking story of a young son's love of his alcoholic mother. Set in the 1980s in Glasgow, precocious and young Shuggie Bain struggles to care for his mother Agnes as she descends into the depths of alcoholism. It is also a story of Shuggie's discovery of his sexuality eclipsed in the backdrop of Agnes' addiction.

It is a pretty long book, about 900 pages, and spends almost the first half setting up characters, environments, and lulling me into the bane of the characters' existence and with little mention of Shuggie. 

Once we got into the book's second half, it was nonstop tears for me. It was an emotional roller coaster through and through. Simultaneous tears of joy and sadness dripped from my eyes. The story evoked such profound feelings from me, caused me to reconsider my positions on certain subjects, and most of all gave a glimpse of what life might have been like for someone who experienced the hardships they endured growing up with an alcoholic mother.

While the book is fiction, the author draws heavily from his own experiences growing up. Shuggie Bain is Douglas Stuart's debut novel and is a 2020 Booker Prize winner (among other awards lists). The audiobook version is absolutely captivating with its reader's performance. I don't have an ear for The Scottish accent, so I had to listen actively. Prose coupled with Scottish slang from the 1980s, understanding specific passages was challenging for me. I ended up getting the Kindle version as well so that I could go back to the portions I did not audibly understand and re-read for comprehension.

I love this story so much, in a way that one can love a heartbreaking story I suppose, that I ended up buying the audiobook and Kindle ebook for someone. I'm a little sad that I have to return this loan to the public library, but I'm also happy that I'm returning this to the public library so that someone else can enjoy this story. There is a hardbound book with the author's signature that I've got my eye on now.

I rate this book 5 out 5 stars.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment