Friday, April 21, 2023

Review: The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay, 2018

The Cabin at the End of the World The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay, 2018
My rating: 1 of 5 stars

Review: The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul G. Tremblay, 2018
I rate this book 1 out of 5 stars.

"They expect us to believe that Wen's death isn't a good enough sacrifice for their god," says Andrew. "So you know what? Fuck them and their god." 

A Frustrating and Aggravating Read: Ambiguity Overload. "The Cabin at the End of the World" left me feeling frustrated and aggravated throughout my reading experience. The characters' reasoning and actions often seemed irrational when simpler and more straightforward choices were available. This lack of sensibility made it challenging to connect with the story and its progression, even considering the possibility of supernatural influences on their decisions.

However, there were a few redeeming qualities in the novel. The portrayal of the family unit, consisting of two men and their adopted daughter, added an element of relatability, particularly in terms of the LGBT aspect. 

I understand that the author probably intentionally used ambiguity to create tension and that without all the irrational, aggravating actions and ways the characters behaved, there probably wouldn't be a draw to read the book. However, the use of ambiguity at every single plot point is just too much for me. This approach might be okay for others, but it was not enjoyable for me. At several points, I found myself wanting to slam the book shut or throw it across the room.

While "The Cabin at the End of the World" has its moments, my overall experience was marred by aggravation and frustration due to the excessive use of ambiguity to create tension. The characters' irrational actions and the book's pacing made it a #HateRead for me, even with the potential for supernatural influences on their decisions.

I rate this book 1 out of 5 stars.

#TheCabinAtTheEndOfTheWorld #PaulTremblay #BookReview #FrustratingRead #AmbiguityOverload #SupernaturalInfluences #LGBTRepresentation #HorrorNovel #PsychologicalThriller #Horror #fiction #Thriller #Suspense #LGBT #PsychologicalHorror #HATEREAD


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment