Saturday, May 23, 2015

"The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac, 1958

"The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac, 1958

Buddhism, Hiking, and Wine drinking.. Topics I'm all too familiar with-- but in the reverse order. Did I learn anything new? Probably not. Did it answer any of those "life questions?" Nah, not any of mine at least, probably because I wasn't having an existential crisis to begin with. Were the tales told entertaining? I wouldn't go that far to describe it as such. At best, I was amused at some parts.

Jack Kerouac
Although a bit dated, somewhat misogynistic, and rambly, I still found myself amused by the misadventures and tales entwined in a very "westernized" view of Buddhism.  However, I think it's those very same qualities that give the book its charm.

"Ah Japhy you taught me the final lesson of them all, you can't fall off a mountain.”

But you can throw a book off one!

My rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2 out of 5 stars) - It was ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment