Monday, May 9, 2022

Review: "Noor" by Nnedi Okorafor, 2021

Noor Noor by Nnedi Okorafor
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

"Noor" by Nnedi Okorafor, 2021

The novel is a dystopic Afrofuturism novel that touches upon late-stage capitalism, colonialism, and climate change. Our hero calls herself AO, short for Augmented Organism. She goes on the run after she inadvertently kills her assailants in self-defense, displaying the deadly range of her cybernetically enhanced capabilities. Along with her companions DNA and GPS, they evade capture from the megacorporation Ultimate Corp.

I was trying to like this book, but I feel this book fell short in many ways. I believe it is set in the same universe as the author's other book "Remote Control" and share the same villain. The character AO seemed flat without much development along the way other than acceptance of her ability to use her cybernetics and the improved manner with the effectiveness we can wield them. In the end, the climax felt rushed and somewhat of a cliffhanger. "Remote Control" is a much better story with a compelling protagonist. I sense these "powered" characters from the author's various books will eventually come together for an AfroFuturistic team-up superhero story.

I give this book a 2 out of 5 stars.

#AfroFuturism #AfroFuturistic #Dystopian #ScienceFiction #SciFi

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment