Wednesday, April 25, 2012

“We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Change Their Lives Forever” by Benjamin Mee, 2008

“We Bought a Zoo: The Amazing True Story of a Young Family, a Broken Down Zoo, and the 200 Wild Animals That Change Their Lives Forever” by Benjamin Mee, 2008

A memoir in the style of “Marley & Me”, according to the book’s self-description, recounts the Mee’s family purchase of a brokedown zoo. Tribulations with animals, tragedies of cancer in the family, and triumphs over it all are told with eloquence and hope.

I decided to read this book before the Netflix DVD arrived; thinking I may not enjoy the movie. I think I would have enjoyed the book more if it spent less time about the wife’s brain cancer or as much of it with the animal issues. Overall, it was just so-so. It managed to keep my attention. There were no “aww” or “hmm” or “that’s interesting” moments in the book.

My rating: ★★☆☆☆ (2 out of 5 stars)

No comments:

Post a Comment